Saturday, February 9, 2013

Baby Names

We're one of those couples that isn't finding out the sex prior to birth. From what we've heard, we're in the vast minority here. We're also one of those (annoying, to some) couples that isn't sharing baby names before the birth. From what I can tell, this phenomenon is becoming somewhat more common.

While there are many parts of the pregnancy that we're gladly sharing with others, it's kind of nice to have something that's just between the two of us. In addition, it helps that we'll never have to endure the situation where we tell someone a name that we like, they recoil in horror, and we get a complex about the name we selected. If someone recoils at a baby name after it's born and already named, it's on them. They're the asshole.

That hasn't stopped some ideas from flowing in. If people ask, I have a boy name and a girl name readily available to tell them: Ruth if it's a girl (i.e., "Ruth Luth") and Babe if it's a boy, (i.e., "Babe Luth"). Personally, I think both names are awesome but the wife doesn't agree. I keep threatening that I'm going to find a way to get either of those names on the birth certificate. She hasn't found these jokes funny.

Truth to be told, I nearly convinced Lindsay "Denali" would be a good middle name. It means "of the national parks" or something to that extent and is actually in the baby name book. I figured since I'm a bit of a national park dork that I could make it work. Though I do find it odd that a mountain that I'm pretty sure was named by native Alaskans well before the birth of this great country much less the advent of national parks could mean "of the national parks," but it was just ridiculous enough that I could have probably sold it if I really wanted to subject my child to that.

Speaking of subjecting a child to something, another name has been suggested that certainly would have raised eyebrows, subjected the kid to a lifetime of ridicule and/or questions like, "what the hell were your parents thinking?" Strangely enough the, the first name is the same as mine, John. The full name?

John Wilkes Luth


2 comments:

  1. I briefly suggested we think of something Indian for a middle name but then quickly realized that that, in addition to the artifacts and photos in the house, and someone might come and take our passports.

    ReplyDelete