Sunday, December 9, 2012

Are Dads Morons?

Last night before going to a movie, we stopped by the local Buy Buy Baby - it's what suburban folk with or expecting children do when they're not too busy at The Home Depot or Buy Buy Baby's sister store, Bed Bath & Beyond. We had merchandise to exchange, and I wanted to see the stroller Lindsay had selected. I think she made a great choice, and that's after the Buy Buy Baby dude said it was the best single stroller that converted into a double for a second child. Huh? I'm pretty sure I've agreed to a one child deal with an option on a second, but last night at Buy Buy Baby didn't seem like the time and place to have that conversation. Regardless, it appears as though she selected the perfect stroller, the Baby Jogger City Select. It folds easily, has cool tires, and pushes like a dream.

What irked me about Buy Buy Baby last night was a onesie that basically implied Dads are morons. (for those fathers that don't know what a onesie is, you may be the target market for the item below; I'd highly recommend your spouse, significant other, or a catty friend of that special person make the purchase).


I get it, very funny: Dads are idiots that don't take care of children. While the shirt isn't entirely inaccurate as I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into (I do, in fact, know what a head and arms look like and how to operate a snap), I have the exact same amount of parenting experience as my wife. To no one's surprise, the "Mommy-proof" onesies were nowhere to be found.

I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll be discriminated against. We just signed up a class at the hospital called "The Gift of Motherhood" which you'd think the name would suggest is a class for mothers. It's not. I'll be spending 8 hours on a Saturday happily attending. I get that this pregnancy thing is 90% plus about the mother, but is it to much to ask for a little respect, for some level of benefit of the doubt? Can't I at least screw up before having people shove "Daddy is an idiot" onsies in my face?

Just like it's not 1955 where the only "acceptable" female professions included nursing, teaching, and switch board operating, it's not like 1955 where males get involved in the actual child rearing.

(And if you buy me the onesie pictured above, you might get punched in the nose.)

No comments:

Post a Comment