Monday, December 3, 2012

The Upgrade "Dilemma"

Thanks to our back-and-forths to India, both my wife and I attained "gold" status on American Airlines which is their entry-level premium status. I'd wager that we attained that status in as few flight segments as any other member of the program. As you might assume, I'm kind of a big deal.

It's been helpful this year for the few times when we've flown American from Orlando. Not only do you get to board first and check a bag for free, the prospect of a first-class upgrade always exists. In September when we got upgraded, I sat across the aisle from Nick Faldo on his way to the Ryder Cup. Other than being somewhat surprised by seeing him fly commercial on his way to broadcast the event (though I suppose he's wealthy and has a good gig with The Golf Channel, it's apparently not a gig worthy of a private plane), it was the only time I've ever seen anyone famous on a plane.

I would say we probably get an upgrade about half the time. On Friday when we flew up to Chicago for a weekend of baby showers, half of us got an upgrade. The non-pregnant half.

Let me lay out the entire scenario: Upon arriving at the gate, we asked if first class had checked in full. It hadn't, there was one seat. I was number three and she was number four on the list. The two spots ahead of us were occupied by another married couple. The gate agent (who was actually the friendliest gate agent I've met in a while) let us know that our only real chance would be that one of us would get it if that married couple didn't want to sit together. Knowing that if either Lindsay or I got an upgrade, we'd sit apart in half a heartbeat, we weren't too hopeful. However, what we didn't know was that that couple was flying with an infant and they both wanted to sit with the kid. I can't imagine people turn down upgrades too often, but that's exactly what they did. We moved up to numbers one (me) and two (my pregnant wife) on the list. For one seat.

I'd like to say this was a blog post about how I made my pregnant wife sit in coach while I swilled fine red wine in the front of the plane waiting for everyone to respond about what a heathen I am. But then I realized that this would be a story that would be recounted not just the entire weekend at her baby showers but pretty much any time I did anything wrong for the rest of my life. Baby Luth would hear this story; in fact, it might be the first story the baby every heard. There really was no option, no dilemma. I chivalrously stepped aside and gracioulsy deferred my upgrade for the comfort of my wife and our unborn child.

Shortly after, the world's friendliest gate agent let me know that the bulkhead row was open, so don't feel too bad for me, I had plenty of legroom and an open seat next to me. Some good deeds go rewarded.

Unfortunately, there were mechanical issues on the plane and we ended up sitting on the ground in Orlando for about 90 minutes. Well, they actually said the mechanical issues had been fixed and we were waiting on paperwork (even though mechanic-looking folks kept getting on and off the plane). They probably shouldn't have even loaded the plane but it was probably easier to just keep everyone situated. At any rate, if I had been sitting in first class because my spouse had graciously given up her seat, I would have, at the least, tried to send a fermented beverage of some sort back to my noble spouse. Was this what happened? Of course not. Some good deeds go rewarded, but sometimes they could be rewarded more.

(I know, I know, the warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that my wife and unborn child were comfortable should be reward enough….blah, blah, blah….)

Seriously though, I've read articles about frequent travelers that travel with spouses where the frequent traveler doesn't give up the upgrade. I get that we live in a liberated age where all things are "equal," but as a man, I can't imagine the shame I would feel watching my wife (pregnant or not) walk past me into coach as I sat comfortably up front. Now, if it was one of those planes where you enter and turn left to get to first class and right to get to coach, that would be an entirely different situation altogether….

No comments:

Post a Comment